Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Busby Marou: The Corner Hotel

Last Thursday night, Lovely, his work mate Dan and I took a trip to the Corner to see Busby Marou! We'd already seen them before earlier in the year, at St Kilda Festival, and were very much looking forward to seeing what they had to offer since then!


 Well, we certainly weren't dissapointed this time around! Whatever expectations I had when entering that gig were blown away by the first song. Busby Marou has an energy that you can only really experience if you see them live; like a lot of bands I feel that it gets a little lost somewhere whilst travelling from studio to speakers. And I do very much enjoy listening to them on my iPod, it's just that I can't help but compare whatever comes up on my playlist to the live version of that song.
The energy in the room was so enourmously joyful, bouncing back and forth from the crowd to the band members, and so I couldn't help but spend the whole time grinning like the silly girl that I am. And Jeremy Marou's guitar skills are some of the best I've ever heard; it's his techinical abilities that elevate the band above a lot of the other coastal folk kinds of bands that are releasing music at the moment. Even now, I'm listening to the album whilst writing this post, and I am amazed by how good he is. How many people do you know who can shred of a uke? Honestly, I know none.

Busby Marou is definitely a band that sounds good in my headphone speakers, but live the music takes on a life of it's own and transforms from good to incredibly good. If you're on the fence about whether or not you're really into them, go and see them live! You'll be jumping off that fence and onto the dance floor to stomp and clap and give yourself over to the music in no time!


Highlights: Underlying Message, Biding My Time, 5 Rocks, Better Be Home Soon, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (Cyndi Lauper)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...