Thursday, April 26, 2012

Swap You?



So in the latest issue of Frankie magazine, also known as my favourite magazine of all time, they have a lovely feature about a collection vintage swap cards from the 70's. I was instantly struck by the vibrant colours and retro patterns, not only because they are stunning, but because I knew I had seen them somewhere before! My mother has a very similar collection of swap cards that she had saved pocket money, begged and bartered for in her youth. I showed her the feature, and we both got very excited, unearthing her albums and searching through to try and find ones that matched up with some of the ones in Frankie. There were quite a few! We even tried to count all her cards, but we gave up after we got into the three hundreds!

Anyways, I wanted to share with you a few of my favourites, because there really are some beautiful ones! I love the idea of these little pieces of art being bought from newsagents and milk bars for mere cents, treasured by girls in paper albums and traded in the playground.










This is what girls did for fun before facebook and twitter and camera phones, along with jump rope and hopscotch and hula hoops! And if you don't know what those are, go ask your mother! (or even your grandmother!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...