Thursday, May 24, 2012

Paper Chain Scarves and Palm Oil

My new paper chain scarf making kit has arrived, just in time for this wintery weather! In Melbourne, you can never have too many scarves.



I bought this from the lovely people over at Lark, who sell lots of pretty knick knacks, craft things, beautiful home decor and a great collection of books, too! I got a $10 voucher from them in my Frankie lucky dip at Finders Keepers, which prompted me to check out their website. So much lovely stuff! I ended up choosing this scarf kit for a number of reasons; it's made of 99% recycled post industrial and post consumer materials, every kit is unique, and it has a pun-derful title. Who thought being environmentally conscious could be so fun and cool?

I haven't been able to start making it yet, as I bruised my finger pretty badly at work and it's making it very difficult to sew :( but I will be updating you with photos in progress and the finished product eventually.

Speaking of being environmentally conscious, I have just launched my new project today! Starting on the 1st of June, I am cutting out all foods that contain or are suspected to contain unsustainable palm oil. Palm oil can be found in 50% of our supermarket products, but you wouldn't know it because it isn't actually labelled anywhere. This wouldn't be such a problem, if it weren't for the fact that the palm oil industry is doing a lot of damage to the rainforest of SE Asia, in particular Malaysia and Indonesia, and putting already endangered animals like the Orangutan and the Sumatran Tiger at risk of becoming extinct. 
No more Orangutans? I couldn't dream of such a world. But sadly, it's a world that is getting dangerously close to becoming a reality, unless something is done to stop it.
I was originally going to blog about it on here, but I realised I had a lot more to say on the subject, and a lot more information that I wanted to share. So I've made a new blog! 'It's Not Me, It's You: Breaking Up With Bad Ingrediants for the Good of the Planet', is specifically for my month without palm oil. The idea is that I will be writing about my experiences and sharing all that I find out over the thirty days, in the hope that other people will be compelled to take action too. I promise you won’t have to stop shaving or showering or sell all your personal belongings and live in a teepee with 20 other people who don't shave or shower. It could be as easy as giving up Tim Tams, or in my case Arnott's Mint Slice (although this could be harder still!)
If you would like to follow my palm oil free adventures, please head over to the new blog, have a read and leave me your thoughts! All feedback is appreciated!


Ok, I think that's it for now. I hope you're having a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...