Monday, May 21, 2012

Amanda Palmer and The Grand Theft Orchestra: Do It With A Rockstar

 So this week's Music Monday song is by none other than the amazing woman that is Amanda Fucking Palmer. I don't like to swear much on this blog, but in this case it is completely necessary, because that's who she is! If you've read either my Dresden Dolls or Amanda Palmer and the Grand Theft Orchestra Posts, you'll know how much I love this lady; I love her music, her musical tastes, her attitudes, and her intense passion for the arts.

Her new album is set to come out later this year, and not only does she push the boundaries with her new songs, both lyrically and musically, she's also pushing the boundaries of how to make and distribute music to the masses. Her notoriously enormous fan base and reputation for being SUCH A NICE LADY to us has allowed her to cut out the big wig record labels and take ownership of her music in a completely new way, via her revolutionary Kickstarter campaign. To put it in perspective, she reached her goal value of $100,000 that was needed to make, mix and distribute the record DAYS after launching the campaign. And it's still going!!!! I love this idea of independent, fan funded projects, because you know that everyone involved is so damned passionate about the end product, and I'm so glad that I could be a part of it by being a backer! I really hope that this is the way of the future for musicians, and that it will force the record industry suits to reassess how they treat the musicians on their label.

As a wonderful treat for backers, Amanda and the Grand Theft Orchestra leaked a single from the record exclusively to them, before releasing it to the rest of the world. It's been unleashed now to the rest of the public, so I'm allowed to blog about it now, and I'm so glad because it is a doozey! I cannot wait for this album to come out, I haven't been so excited for an album release since Ceremonials by Florence and the Machine.

Anyways, have a listen, and then if you like you should head over to her Kickstarter where you can get yourself some special exclusive backer goodies whilst contributing to a musical revolution. This is our Woodstock, people!!! We are the media!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...