Tuesday, April 5, 2011

We Found, We Kept

I know this is a little delayed, but well, my brain is always pretty jumbled up so I guess it makes sense that my blogposts are too. oh well.

A couple of weeks ago Lovely and I went to the Finders Keepers Market :D This is my favourite market because it's more than a market, its a two day handmade independant creation extravaganza :) and I am so glad they have finally started bringing it to Melbourne! There was music, and vegan cupcakes (altohugh sadly we missed out on them they were so popular! I'm having these guys cater my next party though), hipsters, oragami, hipsters wearing oragami, and of course the ridiculously talented designers and their beautiful creations. One of my favourite things about Finders Keepers, and all markets really, is that you get to meet the people behind the products, have a chat (or in my case just gawp at them embarrisingly whislt hiding behind my boyfriend -_-) and let them know how much you like what they're making :) It's always nice to be acknowledged, especially when these labours are of large amounts of love, energy, and often at the expense of finacial security.
Here are some of my favourite stall holders, with all images taken from their respective websites/blogs etc.

First cab off the rank is RaRa Superstar.
So yes, I have been watching a lot of Mad Men recently, which I think has started to seep ever so slowly into my every day brain because I want these clothes so much!!!! These are advertised as Vintage and One off Designs, using vintage and recycled fabrics. Vintage seems to be the buzzword of our generations pop culture, so sometimes I find it hard to distinguish between clothes that are actually vintage ie used to live in somebody's grandmother's closet swathed in tissue paper and mothballs, and those that are designed to emulate these eras. But with Ra Ra it doesn't seem to matter, as they have combined the two, and it works :)



Prices aren't too bad either, ranging from $20 up to $150
click here for their website, store and lookbook

Next is Limedrop, which I've seen stocked in quite a few stores around Melbourne and even at Laneway, but I need to give them a mention because their stuff is just so cool.
Created and run by Australian designers Clea Garrick and Nathan Price, Limedrop has everything from beautifully designed clothing collections to nautical rope accessories, although my absolute favourite is the cherrywood jewellery, and in particular the pop out earrings (see below). The cherrywood fox ones have been on my 'to buy' list for at least a year.


Click here to check out 'The Lake House' 2011 Autumn Winter Collection, as well as past collections and all their cool ass accessories.

Now we venture away from clothing and head to the art department.
Bespoke is a gorgeous Letterpress Boutique based in Brisbane, Queensland, but we were lucky enough to visit their Melbourne Finders Keepers stall. They use antique printing presses not only from last centuary but also the centuary before, combining letterpress with graphic design to create stunning typography prints, stationary and even wedding invitations.


Click here to see some of their amazing designs and prints.

Moving further into the depths of detail we have the almost depressingly talented Jessica Stewart. Lovely and I were both blown away by the incredible detail and sheer beauty of her artworks, which she showcases under the name When You Escape, and uses everything from grey lead pencil to spray paint to create them. I also really like the ideas and landscapes that inspire her work (Click here to read her interview featured on the Finders Keepers Blog). I will definatly be buying one of her pieces in the very near future.



Click here to visit her website and online store

And finally, last but not least, I have to give another mention to Emma Leonard, because she's just so cute and friendly, and I love her artwork oh so much, and finally getting to put it up on my wall made me very happy. She had some new prints this time around, and I was so tempted to buy them, and probably will when I go on to buy something from Jessica Stewart's collection. And maybe those limedrop fox earrings.


Visit her blog (of which I am also an avid follower) and her etsy store to buy her very reasonably priced prints.

Well thats all for now, but there were heaps more amazing designers and artists to see, envy and appreciate, and are listed on The Finders Keepers, which is always on the look out for new talent and promoting new crafting types.
Have a browse through them and I'm sure you'll find something you like. It's what I'm going to be doing for the next few hours. I need a higher paying job -_-

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...