Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Word Wednesday: Storyboard Hangouts

Word Wednesday! As a fledgeling write, I'm always looking for advice and inspiration, especially from those who clearly know what they're talking about.

As you already know, I'm borderline obsessed with Felicia Day, but that's not the only reason I love her amazing YouTube Channel Geek and Sundry. Not only is the quantity of content enourmous, the quality does not suffer from it in the slightest; there is not a single show that doesn't entertain, inspire or amaze me; favourites include Table Top, the Flog, and the very feature of this blog; Tuesday Night Hangouts!

Tuesday night hangouts is a concept that highlights the importance of community, and on the first Tuesday of every month they launch an episode of the Storyboard! Hosted by epic fantasy writer Patrick Rothfuss (who I haven't read but will be at some point, once I've finished Game of Thrones. So maybe in a year or two), the Storyboard holds discussions about different aspects of writing, and they've had some fabulous writers so far, including one of my favourites Emma Bull (War for the Oaks, Squeee!!)

One of the things I love about this is the fact that all hangouts are broadcast live, and give viewers the opportunity to ask real live questions. Unfortunately, because of the time difference, I haven't been able to watch a live one yet, or ask any questions, but hopefully next time I'll have a Wednesday off work!

So, if you're a writer, or a fan of books, or even if you're just hankering for some good conversation, tune into the Storyboard on Geek and Sundry, first Tuesday of every month! I've embeded the first two episodes here, but you can also catch them on the Geek and Sundry channel. The first, Urban Fantasy: Threat or Menace, discusses the techniques of writing urban fantasy novels, and the second, Concerning Characters, is all about the importance of strong characters in novels, what works, what doesn't, and the best ways to create your own! If that doesn't inspire you, then I'll eat my hat!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...