Sunday, June 24, 2012

Mission of Mermaids

I don't know about you, but whenever anyone askes which Disney Princess I wanted to be, I always say Ariel, and not only because I already have the red hair. I've always loved the ocean, no matter how stressed or strung out I'm feeling I always feel instantly calmed whenever I can smell salt on the air, or hear the crashing of waves on sand. I could never understand why Ariel would want to be human; I was an awkward child, who has grown up into an awkward adult, and I can't help but think how much more graceful I would be if I had an iredescent green fish tail instead of two, knobbly bean poles f or legs.

Back in the real world, I'm a huge lover of documentaries, especially ones about oceans, so you could imagine my surprise and excitement when I found this trailer for Susan Rockerfeller's documentary, Mission of Mermaids: A Love Letter to the Ocean.

She writes:

MOM evokes the archetype of the mermaid, a mythical creature that embodies the ocean’s enduring mystery. The film honors the women and men who live from and for the seas—artists, activists, performers, divers, fishermen, and sailors. And all of us who have dreamed on beaches, reveled in the ocean’s waters, or nourished ourselves in her depths.





I love how Susan has approached such an important issue in a fresh and unique way; combining fantasy archetypes with environmentalism, and using a large percentage of exisitng footage in the hope of reducing her carbon footprint. And with the recent groundbreaking developement of Australia's new Marine Parks, it couldn't have come at a better time. I really can't wait to see it, I hope they release it in Australia!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...