Thursday, November 17, 2011

Discovering the Podcast

A couple of months ago, Lovely introduced me to the world of podcasting; I know I know, I'm very very late to the table, BUT better late than never. Anyway, lately I've been enjoying NPR's All Songs Considered Podcast, because it's introduced me to a lot of great music I wouldn't have found otherwise (I've tried music blogs, but my internet is too slow and I get impatient trying to sift through the backlog of videos looking for something I might like.)

Having said that, here's some artists that I was led to by said podcast and enjoyed so much I looked them up on the internet, and will probably buy their albums at some point.


Ólöf
Arnalds


If Bjork and Joanna Newsom had song babies, it would probably sound something like Ólöf Arnalds. I really love this song, although the first song I heard her sing on the podcast was a cover of Bruce Springsteen's I'm on Fire, and it was so beautiful, but I couldn't find it on youtube.
This clip is quietly terrifying, but I couldn't stop watching. I now also really want to go to Iceland.

Cults 


I liked this song, Abducted, as soon as I heard it, and I remember because I wrote the name of the song and the band on the back of a bus ticket so I wouldn't forget. I like how cheery it sounds, but then you listen to the lyrics and you realise it's a very sinister song; I really enjoy songs like that, maybe that's why I'm so obsessed with Florence at the moment.
The clip is also a bit scary, but it has a nice twist at the end.

Zola Jesus


I wasn't so bothered with this song at first, but since I listened to that particular episode, she's really grown on me. Her songs feel like they've crossed galaxies to get to my speakers. This clip makes me think of a desert on the moon (even though you can see the actual moon from where she is a number of times), and I reckon she could teach Lady Gaga a thing or two about the effectiveness of subtlety, but I guess that's not really her deal.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do :) 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...