Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Dinner Time!

Now for those of you who cook your own dinner every night, please ignore the following post because it may cause you to slap your forehead with your hand or wish upon me a terrible and painful death for having it so easy. Unless there is some sort of baking involved, I am widely known to be a pretty incompetent cook, but I decided recently that the only thing standing in the way of my competency was myself.
So on Sunday night I decided I would cook dinner, not just for myself but for the rest of my family as well. And I did it! I made a two course dinner all by myself!

Sweet Potato and Coconut Soup
Lovely and I made this on Cup Day, but it was mostly him cooking and me trying to help :P We found this recipe on Instructables, a website that has instructions on how to make EVERYTHING EVER.

2 tbsp Olive Oil
2 cloves of Garlic
1 Onion sliced
2 pinches of Chilli Flakes ( I didn't use chilli cos my family and I don't like spicey things
2 pinches of Ground Ginger
400g of Sweet Potato
400ml of chicken or vegetable stock
200g Creamed Coconut
50g Fresh Coriander leaves chopped (optional)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Coriander or Spinach to garnish

Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan, add the finely chopped onion and the crushed garlic. Gently fry off for 3-4 minutes until soft and golden brown.
Once the onion and garlic are cooked through add the chilli flakes, ground ginger frying for a further 2-3 minutes.
Then add the peeled and chopped sweet potato cooking for a further 2-3 minutes.
 Now add the stock (hot)  and coconut. Allow to cook for about 10 minutes.
Take care when adding hot liquid to a hot pan.
At this stage if you wish to add the optional chopped coriander leaves then do so.
Remove from the heat and allow to cool before pouring into a blender or food processor.
Beware of adding hot liquids to a blender. Hot liquids can scald!
Blend until a smooth and even consistency.


This recipe I found on a great website recommended to me by a friend of mine, Green Kitchen Stories. There is so much good vegetarian stuff on there, I want to learn to make all of it. But I thought I would start off with this. Baby Steps :) I wasn't quite ready to make a pizza base from scratch, so I'm just going to post the filling, because that's all I cooked. But if you would like to make the whole, because you are a much better cook than I, just click through the link and it will take you to the whole recipe.


Rustic Potato Pizza
Filling:
3 medium size firm potatoes
2 tbsp salt
4 tbsp olive oil
2 small spring onions
2 tbsp fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
100 g goat cheese
salt & black pepper

Slice the potatoes thin with a mandoline or with a knife. Place the slices in a deep plate, drizzle them with salt and cover with cold water for about an hour. Drain the water, rinse the potatoes and pat them dry on a towel.
Brush the dough with a thin layer of olive oil. Cover it with potato slices, onion, rosemary, 3/4 of the goat cheese, salt and freshly grounded black pepper. Drizzle the rest of the olive oil over the pizza and bake for about 15-18 min until the potatoes are golden and the edges are slightly burnt. Sprinkle the rest of the goat cheese over it and serve immediately.



I guess everyone liked it :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...