Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Brain Kingdom

Today I went with my friends Laura and Eleanor to the Melbourne Museum. We had a lovely day exploring each room full of mineral crystals, taxidermy animals, pickled brains, creepy crawlies and skeleton replicas, dodging hyperactive children, prams and collections of live spiders, eating frog in a pond and feeding our brains and imaginations. It was really fun, but I'll have to go back again because we didn't make it through all the rooms.






In the Animal Room, they had a whole collection of specimens and drawings from John and Elizabeth Gould, a husband and wife team of ornithologists that were revolutionaries in their field. I recognized these paintings as soon as I saw them, but it wasn't until today that I really got to appreciate their beauty. If I had any artistic talent, this is the kind of job I would want.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...