Sunday, October 3, 2010

Saskia Hamilton

I heard this song the other day, and I thought it was really very awesome, so much so that I got weird looks from the old people sitting opposite me on the tram. It may have had something to do with my ridiculous grin but whatever. I love Nick Hornby, and Ben Folds, so Nick Hornby + Ben folds = Double the love!
This song was written about Saskia Hamilton (well duh), who is a real person, and a real poet too! She's actually rather good; this song compelled me to go look her up.




Inside
by Saskia Hamilton

No one to hear but records for the broken player.
No reason for order but order persists,
from breakfast to bath to work to tea to dark,
rain falling at one speed,
the windows darkening and blurring,
accident beating against belief.
A loud engine, which is one way to say one thing.
The floors dark, swept daily, though
it takes at least one hour for the first
and one for the last. In the pages of a book,
quick studies of hands,
tents of hands.

Now we're all in love with Saskia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...