Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Parting is such sweet sorrow

So a few weeks ago, an inexplicable amount of clothes and trinkets and bric-a-brac were donated to the op shop, and I and a couple of my colleagues got to help bring it all in. There were some INCREDIBLE pieces, as this woman, who is sadly no longer with us, used to be a model for Myer in the 50s and 60s (oh gosh! said I). There were jackets, dresses, angora sweaters, pant suits, overcoasts, blouses and cardigans; seriously, you could have opened a store with the amount of beautiful cloths she had, it was like discovering an Egyptian tomb of fashion. Of course I wanted everything (and probably would have bought it all if my financial situation would have allowed it), but by some good fortune or other I ended up taking home this lovely houndstooth overcoat! Hoorah!

Sadly, the ending of this story is more of a Romeo and Juliet type scenario, the coat playing Romeo and me the Juliet, and thus we must forever be separated. By this I mean that the curator of our op shops found out that said coat's label, the rather prestigious 1950's label of Raoul Couture, is being sought after by curators at the National Gallery of Victoria, and so it is worth a lot more money to them that I had already paid for it!
So sadly me and my coat shall have to part for the good of fashion history and animal welfare, but its kind of cool to know that something that may end up hanging in the NGV once hung in my humble wardrobe! So I can't really be too sad about that! Plus, the money can go towards buying some new shoes which I actually desperately need, and if they don't want it in the end, well, I'm not averse to taking back rejected goods!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...