Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Noah and the Whale - The Corner Hotel

So last night Lovely and Ruby and I went to the Corner to see Noah and the Whale.

Honestly, they were a lot better than I expected them to be; I liked Last Night on Earth but found it almost a polar opposite to their first album, which is my favorite of theirs, and not just because Laura Marling was in the band at the time. What I loved about Peaceful the World Lays Me Down was how a lot of the music on that album was so light and full of jaunty melodies and woodwind instruments, yet the lyrics were so melancholy that they gave the melodies weight, and I was afraid that because the two sounds were so different they wouldn't play much of their old stuff, save maybe 5 Years Time (which they did play, and it was awesome). But they ended up playing lots of their old songs from Peaceful (Shape of My Heart, Give a Little Love, Jocasta, and Rocks and Daggers) that they had reworked to fit in with the rest of the songs. Just imagine if all the ukelele parts of those songs were replaced by electric guitars, and you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about.
Shame on me for having such little faith!!! But then I guess the surprise made it all the more enjoyable.

So all in all, it was a great gig, I recommend you catch them if you have the chance. Oh, and they're all really adorable.
Naww look at them!! And they all have such great hair.
All photographs are by Autumn De Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...